Sunday 2 May 2010

First taste of the Blue Mountain.


I've decided to turn my sceptic eye toward the Blue Mountain of Jamaica. Costing significantly more than the beans I've been buying, this coffee has a reputation for consistency of quality so this is my chance to taste the difference.

My first hit of the Blue Mountain was an aeropress Quad espresso, diluted with about an extra 50% water after making. This super-Americano puts any bean to its test and should provide a real blast to the senses and give me an idea of the strengths and weaknesses to explore.

Despite the strength of the preparation the aroma is a little dry and doesn't immediately draw you in, however the pre-taste and initial wash fills the mouth warmly with a low fruity tone and a higher flavoursome buzz.
The mild flavour stands up well and even at the stronger strength, and despite two grinds making their way into my cup its after-taste vanishes quickly bringing it to your lips again and again.

The Blue Mountain is very self contained, and it was drunk unadulterated. I enjoyed some sweet shortbread a little while after drinking, and while the sweet contrast worked well I can see a nutty almond or hazelnut accompaniment working well. I'm sure a traditional biscotti would be a great addition.

The Blue Mountain is a large, low density bean that grinds finely and evenly. The colour was pale which is reflected in the mild even taste and I'm looking forward to trying different preparations that will bring out its fruity tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment