Wednesday 5 May 2010

Democracy


As a serial abstainer, this general election I decided to properly vote. Unfortunately, it takes hours to read news stories, research candidates and form a balanced and worthwhile political opinion. You have to understand the views of the local candidates then the national policies and the effects and implications of those polices in the years to come. Its a lot to take in. Voting might even be a full time job if you were going to do it right. Anything less is just picking at random.

Thankfully, I'm smart enough to outsource all that hard work - I'm going to find somebody else who has come to an informed, credible political opinion and vote for whoever they are voting for. How do I find such a person who I can absolutely guarantee has made the best informed, educated decision...? Easy, through an electronic bay auction of course!

While I'm sure its not legal to sell ones electoral vote on an electronic bay auction website, it turns out one is able to make it clear that one is a member of a fickle electorate who will form an opinion based on a single recommendation. And it is possible to sell, to the highest bidder, a certificate that one has listened to that one single recommendation. In terms of electronic bay auctions. I'd be willing to accept somebodies political opinion as the postal fee for mailing the certificate.

Below is the transcript from a conversation with one of the wonderful customer service representatives from an electronic bay auction website. Names have been blanked out to protect the innocent, or possibly guilty. I even blanked out my name, for some reason.

r**** ******t
Initial Question/Comment: UK CW LP- PI
16:11:58 System
m**** ******n has joined this session!
16:11:58 System
Connected with m**** ******n
16:12:03 m**** ******n
Welcome to eBay Live Help, my name is M***y. Please give me a minute while I check your account details.
16:12:10 r**** ******t
ok
16:13:38 m**** ******n
R***r, thanks for waiting. I've checked your account details and they are all fine.
16:13:42 r**** ******t
ok great.
16:13:45 m**** ******n
May I know your concern, please?
16:13:47 r**** ******t
Can I sell my vote for the '10 general election on ebay?
16:15:01 m**** ******n
You can not sell a vote or a opinion through a eBay listing.
16:15:14 r**** ******t
Its legal for me to determine my vote based on a conversation with somebody. What I'll actually be selling is the right to have that conversation with me.
16:15:22 r**** ******t
It'll still legally be my vote.
16:15:33 r**** ******t
Like selling first refusal on a House or Car.
16:16:41 r**** ******t
I didn't see vote/opinion on the list of prohibited or restricted items in your T&C.
16:16:43 m**** ******n
Any listing which does not have a item or service for sale on it is a breach of our No Item Policy.
16:16:59 r**** ******t
The service is the conversation with me about my vote.
16:17:13 r**** ******t
I'll provide the service of attending the polling station.
16:19:53 m**** ******n
R***r, I completely understand that you want to list this item, however, as per the policy, we will not able to leave the item on site as it will be in breach of No Item policy.
16:20:09 r**** ******t
But I could list a service, couldnt I?
16:20:48 m**** ******n
We don't want to encourage the members to list an item which falls under the breach of any of the eBay's policies.
16:21:07 r**** ******t
If I provided a certificate, would that constitute as an Item?
16:21:13 m**** ******n
R***r, just to clarify it before taking further, do you want to list your votes or are you trying to sell the voting service on eBay?
16:21:33 r**** ******t
I am attempting to sell just my vote.
16:21:37 r**** ******t
Singular.
16:22:29 m**** ******n
Thanks for clarifying this. But this will fall in breach of our 'No Item' policy.
16:22:39 r**** ******t
Even if I supply a certificate?
16:22:51 r**** ******t
wouldn't that count as the item?
16:22:51 m**** ******n
What kind of certificate would it be?
16:23:15 r**** ******t
It would say that my vote has been cast, to whom and be dated and signed.
16:23:21 r**** ******t
I could even laminate it.
16:23:38 m**** ******n
And I would also like to know what kind of 'vote' are you trying to sell on eBay? Can you please provide me some more information on this?
16:23:57 r**** ******t
It would be my vote for the '10 General Election, as I stated earlier.
16:24:53 m**** ******n
I'm sorry R***r but selling of government votes or related items are not possible on eBay. This falls under the breach of our Prohibited Items policy.
16:26:08 m**** ******n
This policy helps protect buyers and sellers from engaging in illegal activity.
16:26:22 m**** ******n
eBay urges its sellers and buyers to comply with all governmental laws and regulations.
16:26:31 r**** ******t
I appreciate that, but it is legal for me to cast my vote based on a conversation with somebody.
16:26:47 r**** ******t
Thats how canvassing works, generally.
16:26:58 r**** ******t
I just want to sell that experience.
16:27:53 m**** ******n
That's absolutely fine R***r. But the selling of votes is not possible on eBay. We don't want online forum to be used for activities which can encourage other eBay's to breach government policies and procedures.
16:28:16 m**** ******n
*eBayers to breach government policies and procedures
16:28:23 m**** ******n
Since encouraging illegal activity may be prohibited by law, sellers may not use eBay to encourage other members to engage in illegal activity.
16:29:26 m**** ******n
In most of the countries, "Selling your vote in all levels of Government Elections is, for the vast majority of countries, an illegal act."
16:30:10 r**** ******t
Its already legal under UK law for me to listen to opinions of others before casting my vote.
16:30:35 r**** ******t
If I sell that conversation with somebody, and provide a certificate, then its allowed on ebay?
16:31:28 m**** ******n
R***r, I understand that it's completely voluntary for an individual to cast a vote, or to have opinion of other before casting your vote. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not permissible to sell it on eBay.
16:31:48 m**** ******n
We don't want to encourage you to list an item which will be removed again because of our policies.
16:32:00 m**** ******n
eBay has prohibited the service of selling your vote on it's sites.
16:32:31 r**** ******t
Thats fair.
16:32:36 r**** ******t
But I could sell a certificate saying who I'm going to vote for?
16:33:18 m**** ******n
As per laws, you cannot disclose whom you are going to vote. Hence, this is again in breach of government rules and policies.
16:33:32 r**** ******t
Ah. thats true.
16:33:56 m**** ******n
Is there anything else I can assist you with R***r?
16:34:02 r**** ******t
So it would have to say who I voted for, so I'd have to write the certificate after the election?
16:35:49 m**** ******n
I'd put it other way. Do not mention who you voted for. Instead, just mention your preference in the certificate.
16:36:22 m**** ******n
Because I think clearly mentioning the name of the elective person would probably breach our policies again.
16:36:32 r**** ******t
I think you can say after the fact, thats how exit polls work. But its a good idea to describe it as my preference.
16:36:45 m**** ******n
Exactly
16:37:03 m**** ******n
Do you have any more concerns, R***r?
16:37:42 r**** ******t
I'll be the first item I've put on ebay, but I'm sure I can get my other concerns answered offline and by faqs. Thankyou for your help.
16:38:05 r**** ******t
oh one more.
16:38:09 m**** ******n
Thanks for your understanding R***r.
16:38:12 r**** ******t
is this conversation confidential?
16:38:53 m**** ******n
R***r, this is completely confidential. Rest assured that it will not be shared anywhere.
16:39:07 r**** ******t
Thankyou. I have no further concerns.
16:39:39 m**** ******n
Once we end this session, you'll have the option to fill out a survey. I'd appreciate it if you could take a few moments to let us know what you think about your experience today.
16:39:54 m**** ******n
Thank you for contacting eBay UK Live Help. Have a great day.
16:40:00 r**** ******t
thankyou

No comments:

Post a Comment