Thursday 21 May 2015

Thing of the week - Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee.


Hey everybody, what is going on?
I'm Roger In Technology and this week I'd like to give an honourable mention to Wallenford Estate coffee.

Coffee is a relatively modern tradition, dating back up to a thousand years by some stories but only becoming a global phenomenon in the last five hundred years. Over the centuries the coffee industry spread to Europe and the Americas and has grown stronger, spreading globally.

The technology behind coffee remains largely unchanged although products, practices and tolerances have improved to keep up the demand for quantity and quality. From the simplest stove-top pot to the largest, steaming, frothing, barista machines the sale and consumption of coffee has become an ubiquitous part of modern technological development, driving artists, philosophers, and programmers well through the night with its delicious aroma, taste, and chemical stimulation.

While apparently it's medically possible for a human being to go without coffee for long periods of time, it's not an experiment I could contemplate running. In the twenty-first century we drink well over two billion cups of coffee a day.  I'm doing my part, are you?


The Wallenford Estate review this week is based of off two cups of Wallenford long black, both purchased and consumed at a coffee shop local to me.

The long black was served as a 12oz cup, which is a good size for a double shot coffee. I used to enjoy it a little stronger but this is a good way to get the flavour. I take my coffee straight black, and while I never add sugar or syrup on the first cupping I will often pick something that goes well if it's a drink I will return to time and again.

The initial hit of the Wallenford was a little more acidic than I'd expected, not quite citrusy but certainly accompanied by some high notes. Drinking was smooth and easy and the body of flavour comes from its mid-tones, I found it very drinkable and the cup disappeared surprisingly quickly.

The overall palette is very mid-balanced, medium bodied coffee with few high notes and no great earthy flavours to drown out its almost buttery flavour.  If found it missing the sweet fruity, cherry, flavours I was hoping for and that part of the spectrum was surprisingly absent but its uncomplicated mid flavours were pleasant.

I will say there was a slight coffee-shop finish.  Filters in coffee shops often leave too much grit in the drink which does contribute toward a darker, more bitter finish to the cup than is otherwise fair. But even considering that the finish was fast and clean, and any lingering taste wasn't unpleasant.

My other critique would be the paler-than-expected crema typical of an over extraction. I'm not going to put too much into the colour of the crema, but darker is better and I find over extractions a little sharp and combined with the bitter body I think the preparation let the coffee down. Both of these are preparation artefacts that wouldn't be present if you made it at home and not inherent to the bean. Despite these points it was a very fast drinking cup and any bitterness was brief and mild.

I enjoyed shortbread with my second cup, which I thought would bring out the buttery sweetness and create a simple combo but I found the flavours clashed too much and didn't play to each other. Not to say it wasn't enjoyable, just that it was far from the perfect combo I'd expected. The Wallenford is missing a nutty body, so think hazelnut balocco or hazel syrup if thats your style. I did leave thinking that a dark chocolate brazil would go well, but didn't have the chance to try the combination. To the coffee shops credit the cup was the correct radius for a stroopwaffle, and although I didn't indulge I'm sure every long black works well with the dutch delight.

I didn't manage to make my own Wallenford yet, and I think that the fine paper filter of an Aeropress would significantly improve its finish, and bolster its strength without sacrificing its smooth body. I'm going to guess that it's best enjoyed at an americano strength where it's uncomplicated butter feel will linger and be enjoyed.

Overall the Wallenford Blue Jamaica was a good cupping, and I enjoyed the drink despite the number of flaws I've presented here. I've tried to be fair and balanced, and while I have a personal preference for some of the light, cherry and fruity coffees of Africa the Wallenford was a good drink in its own right.  I wasn't blown away but I did enjoy it.

Thats all for this week. If you've got a favorite coffee let me know and I'll try it as soon as I can. If you have any tips or suggestions for a future Thing of the Week then I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment