Friday 26 March 2010

Wireless Schmireless


On a more serious note, I'd like to sum up the progress in some quantitative or qualitative way. I guess in the spirit of sportsmanship lets go in reverse order, but be aware this article contains swears.

In last place, falling behind all of the other technology I've encountered has got to be my Wireless Keyboard and mouse. It came as three parts,
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Receiver 2.1
Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000

So worst first, the Receiver. Its a USB dongle with a 1m cable, and I'm going to blame the poor signal strength, short range and "Your wireless strength is low" and "your keyboard/mouse battery is low" dialog boxes on the Receiver as representative of the technology. Even with the keyboard less than 12 inches from the receiver it can complain about signal strength, and within twenty minutes of new batteries you can get low battery warnings. Fundemetally, this product is technologically flawed and an almost identical product on Microsofts website uses RF at 27Mhz. This cannot be found on the "Sell Sheet" detailing the "products leading edge features and functionality", but is detailed on the Technical Data Sheet. I didn't see this printed on the box, and would not have bought the product if I'd known.

Flawed technology and architecture aside, lets look at the cramped keyboard with spongy keys and fucked up layout. I refer to the insanity of screwing with the layout of Home,End, Insert,Delete, Page Up, Page Down. Please for the love of all things good in this world, do not move these keys. If you've decided to use a Qwerty layout in this day an age you must have a health respect for standards and moving these buttons if just going to piss me off - they are aligned vertically, 2x3 instead of 3x2 and the delete key is double size and there is no insert. Insert is an extra function of PrintScreen. I'm a programmer, and actually use my insert button and miss it when its gone. I'm also a gamer, and often have actions bound to function keys. I rely on instinct and on feeling the spaces between groupings of keys to press the right button. The decision to split the function keys into four sets of three buttons instead of three sets of four buttons is just total fail.

And the last of this unholy trinity, the Mouse. Its the least bad of the three. Its just a second rate, sluggish, uncomfortable mouse. Its small, has only two buttons and makes your hand feel cheap. It doesn't move as well as a good mouse but thats it. No significant complaints - its just not very good. Its not a gamers mouse.

I spent some time reflecting on this, on my expectations of both the capability of wireless technology and of the strength and value of the microsoft brand. The biggest immediate disappointment was the wireless range. It wasn't much longer than the length of a wired keyboard. I bought this to control my TV, but the range of the device was so short I couldn't use it while sitting on the sofa.
It was bought with a purpose, with a specific goal in mind and failed to deliver. Its worth noting that if I'd wanted a second-rate uncomfortable keyboard and mouse to use next to my PC within six inches of the the receiver then this would have fit the bill and would have got a great review, so it is all a mater of perspective. I think its a bit of a crock because radios havn't been referred to as "wireless" since Frequency Modulation and the twenty-first century usage of the term is usually assigned to something a bit more high tech than 27Mhz RF.

There is no geek-chic in this device, and its got the feel of something that is cosmetically wireless, not practically wireless. On any numerical scale other than binary, this product is going to score "One Star"

No comments:

Post a Comment